Come to Blade of Darkness and you’ll discover that the Central Kingdoms are in peril, as a new and ominous threat looms on the horizon.
Telling a story that focuses on how the borders, once safeguarded by the indomitable King’s Knights, are now vulnerable, and how the marauding orc clans are more numerous than ever, lurking on every road., Blade of Darkness releases onto Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.
Drop in and you’ll discover a game in which even the proud nomadic peoples of the steppes are on high alert, as strange beasts stalk the darkness. And the stout dwarves, hidden away in their underground palaces, cannot rest easy either. A foul army of hideous creatures is advancing through the unknown tunnels of their mines, bringing chaos and destruction in their wake.
Yep, the world is in disarray but in amongst the memories of the elder generations is a story that tells of a hero and a small band of warriors who once stood against the forces of chaos. It’s here where a new hero is required and bestowed upon them is a mighty sword, allowing them to venture into the abyss and vanquish all evil.
And it’s with that in which this newly re-engineered edition comes in, as it comes about via the Fire Falcom, Rebel Act Studios and SNEG teams. With modern hardware in mind, specifically Xbox Series X|S in which Blade of Darkness is fully optimised. It has also been revamped to include widescreen support of up to 4K resolution, a range of new display settings, and improved stability. Thankfully, the gameplay, content, and story that made this so beloved have remained untouched.
The key features in summary include:
- FOUR PLAYABLE CHARACTERS – Pick your Champion of Ianna — Tukaram, the Barbarian; Naglfar, the Dwarf; Sargon, the Knight; or Zoe, the Amazon — each with unique strengths, weaknesses, and fighting skills, as you hack ‘n slash your way through a blood-drenched quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos.
- BLOODY & GORY COMBAT – Learn devastating combo attacks and use them to slice your opponents into pieces. Hack off your foes’ limbs, then use them as weapons!
- A DETAILED & DARK FANTASY WORLD – Battle orcs, trolls, golems, demons, skeletons, and scores of malevolent enemy creatures as you explore treacherous tombs, frozen fortresses, demon spires, deserts, temples, and palaces.
- INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENTS – Destroy in-game objects with fire or your fists as you solve puzzles and disarm traps that combine physics, hydraulic systems, and lethal traps!
- RE-RELEASE OF A TRUE GENRE-DEFINING GAME – We are happy to bring Blade of Darkness back to life, an enduring classic that, at the time of its release, inspired many games in the action-adventure genre through its approach to combat.
Blade of Darkness is on the Xbox Store, priced up at £12.49 – discounted to £9.99 at launch – with the game playable on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. Let us know if you decide to pick it up. You’ll find Blade of Darkness on PC via Steam too. It’s picked up some rather positive reviews. We’ll drop our thoughts at some point too.
A grim new threat looms over The Central Kingdoms. The borders protected by the fierce King’s Knights are no longer secure. The fearsome orc clans, more numerous than ever, lurk on all roads. The proud nomadic peoples of the steppes are on the alert, for strange beasts prowl the darkness. Not even the stout dwarves, hidden in their underground palaces, seem safe from threat – from the unknown tunnels of its mines, a foul army of hideous creatures advances inexorably. Chaos seizes the World. Only the memory of the oldest recalls the exploits of a hero and a few warriors, who in other times fought against the forces of Chaos. Ianna, the mother of all living beings, gave the hero a powerful sword to enter the abyss and defeat evil. But that happened a long time ago. A new hero is needed, a chosen one who is worthy to wield the Sword and destroy the enemy… this time forever. With this edition, we’ve re-engineered the game to work on modern hardware, added widescreen support up to 4K resolution, introduced new display settings, and improved its overall stability. At the same time, the gameplay, content, and the story are untouched — featuring all the game’s quirks and charm.