If you have a taste for the pixel art tactical RPG – borne from games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts – then you might want to give a moment to Vanaris Tactics, a short-form take on the genre from developer Matheus Reis.
Available now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch and PC (where it’s been for a little while), there’s a hint of current affairs about the plot. You play a group of refugees, looking to escape the city of Vanaris and your brutal oppressors. That’s step number one, but you’re soon gathering together other like-minded escapees to form a rebellion, and then hitting back.
You play Morgana as she struggles to find her feet outside the walls of Vanaris. She is accompanied by her brother Nigel and nephew Adrien, in a plot that’s just as much about family as it is bringing down a nation. We aren’t able to coordinate with our family on a group birthday present; heaven knows how they form a rebellion together.
It looks to have all the depth you could hope for. Checking the screenshots for information on the character customisation, there are all the stats, resistances and loot slots that you would expect from the genre. We’ll undoubtedly be looking to gain the high ground and attempt some stabs to the back for increased damage.
This is all very reasonably priced at £8.39, much less than your average turn-based tactics game costs. Go on, treat yourself.
The key features of Vanaris Tactics on Xbox, Switch and PC include:
- Vanaris Tactics implements a combat initiative unit turn system inspired by the greatest fantasy tactics RPGs of all time.
- Unite a band of unique characters with their own strengths, skills, and stories.
- Gain new abilities and increase your range of options to deal with new challenges.
- Different combinations of weapons and accessories and see a unit’s playstyle change drastically.
- Travel the land of Vanaris to discover powerful treasures and hear untold stories. However, keep your guard up as danger lurks in every corner.
- Unravel the story through fifteen unique story encounters and hand-crafted in-game cutscenes, as well as optional battles and boss fights.
Our review of Vanaris Tactics will be winging its way to the site soon. For now, head to the Xbox Store and pick up an Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S version of the game. It’s also on Switch via the Nintendo eShop and PC through Steam.
Vanaris Tactics is a short narrative tactical RPG experience that tells the story of refugees fleeing their occupied motherland. Follow this group of refugees seeking freedom outside the walls of Vanaris, unite your brethren, and use tactical prowess to escape your oppressors. Vanaris Tactics tells the story of Morgana in her struggle to find freedom outside the walls of Vanaris. Accompanied by her brother Nigel and nephew Adrien, they must flee their motherland, a place they once called home. Discover the vast realm of Vanaris and meet new people on the same path, as they must leave everything behind to escape their oppressors and find peace.